Saturday, July 7, 2012

Olympic Pin Trading

Something that I've only recently become aware of is how popular pin trading is at the Olympics. I've heard it described as the "number one spectator sport" at the Olympic Games. Apparently it all started at the 1984 Games in Los Angeles, and it has just been growing and growing ever since. It's expected to be hugely popular at London 2012, so I've been building a little collection to get me started..

London 2012 Trading Pins
Ready for trading! - My little London 2012 pin collection
Coca Cola is setting up Pin Trading Centres at the Olympic Park and Hyde Park, but from what I've read people will trade with you just about everywhere, and the Underground is expected to be a good source of trades!

According to the Games Maker uniform guide, we're not supposed to wear pins on our uniforms, but we can put them on the flaps of our bags. Apart from the fact that there are some really beautiful London 2012 pins out there, this seems like a really cute hobby and an ideal way of meeting people at the Games. It's a great "excuse" for striking up a conversation with someone and, even if you don't have a language in common, anyone can understand the process, so it seems like a perfect, international ice-breaker!


2 comments:

  1. Tim, love the blog and the plug for pin trading.

    Are you planning to update the blog during the Games?

    Good luck with your GM role - I have mine in the IBC during the Paralympics.

    Paul - www.londonpins.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    Thanks very much - I've really been enjoying your blog too! Yes, there are a number of things coming up in the next couple of weeks that I plan to blog about (venue training at Greenwich Park, the technical rehearsal of the opening ceremony, etc)and then I plan to post something everyday during the Games, if I can. It's all beginning to get VERY exciting! Good luck at the Paralympics - the IBC should be a great place to trade some media pins!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete