Saturday, July 28, 2012

London 2012 Day 1 - Greenwich Park

I've just got home from my first day of volunteering. Wow, what a day I've had!
I had to get up at 03:00AM this morning, in order to get to Greenwich Park for my 06:30 start. Pretty much the only people on the train were Games Makers, and despite the early hour we were all excited and keen to get started.

Once I arrived at Euston station I took the bus, which flew through a deserted London as the sun started to rise. Once I got to Greenwich Park, I signed in and headed over to the arena, where my fellow Games Makers were starting to gather:
Games Makers
Games Makers gathering at the start of the day

Naval College
View of the Naval College
Today's event was Eventing Dressage, and my group was assigned to the stands, directing people to their seats, providing information and generally helping the spectators. When we went in to the stands, the sky was grey and everything was eerily quiet..

Tunnel entrance
Tunnel entrance to the arena

Going through the tunnel
Entering the arena through the tunnel

Deserted arena
The arena, first thing in the morning
At 08:00, the gates were opened, spectators started to arrive and the sky started to clear. I don't know much about Dressage, but it's certainly an elegant and skillful event to watch:

Dressage
Watching the Dressage

Austrian rider
Austrian rider
The weather was perfect, all of the spectators were friendly and happy and, despite being on my feet for many hours, it was a wonderful day. Time to go to bed and get some rest for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment