Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Games Maker Selection Event - Part 1

Friday was the big day - time for my selection event!

It had been a restless night. When I had gone to bed the night before it had started to snow quite heavily. As I was counting on the train, underground and DLR to get me to the Excel Centre, what were the travel conditions going to be like?

I normally love waking to the sight of the snow, but as I drew back the curtains, I groaned when I saw that the damned stuff was everywhere! If you live in the UK, you know that it doesn't take much in the way of adverse weather to cause public transport problems, and I immediately started to imagine cancelled trains, frozen points and signal failures.

A quick look at the Chiltern Railways website did little to reassure me. There was already one cancelled train and warnings that several trains would be shorter than usual. Should I drive and risk getting stuck on a snowy M25, or take a gamble on the train? I decided that the motorway was probably a greater risk and headed off to Aylesbury station instead.

As it turned out, I needn't have worried; the journey was completely without incident. I tried to do some work on the train but couldn't really concentrate, as my worries about the journey were replaced with apprehension about the day ahead. I desperately wanted to make a good impression.

By the time I changed on to the DLR at Canning Town, I realised that I was going to arrive at least half an hour early, so I relaxed my shoulders and tried to anticipate some of the questions that I might be asked. Unlike a job interview, I didn't know the specific role that I was being considered for, so I hadn't been able to do much preparation. As I walked across the Excel plaza, I thought about all of the points I wanted to get across about myself, then I took a deep breath and headed inside...

Click here to read the second part of this blog entry


London Excel
London Excel

London Excel Plaza
London Excel Plaza

View of The Thames
View of The Thames

This Way To The Games Maker Interviews!
This Way To The Games Maker Interviews!


No comments:

Post a Comment