Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Journey So Far..

Hello, my name is Tim and I've applied to be a volunteer at the London 2012 Olympic Games. The purpose of this blog is to share the excitement of applying to be, and hopefully becoming a "Games Maker" in the world's greatest sporting event.

Back in September, 2010, I was one of the 250,000 people who applied to be one of the 70,000 volunteers who will play an important role in making the Games a success. There then followed a year-long wait until people were gradually informed that they had either been unsuccesful, or invited for a selection interview. Applicants were promised that they would know either way by the end of December, 2011.

By December, I have to admit that I was starting to feel disheartened. Two colleagues, who had also applied for a role, had already been invited for their interviews and I still hadn't heard anything. Surely this must mean that I hadn't made the short list! By the end of the month, I was resigned to the fact that it was only a matter of days until I received my "Thanks, but not thanks" email. On 28th December, my heart sank when I opened my email and saw that I had a message from noreply@gamesmaker.london2012.com - this would be the end of the adventure. With dread, my eyes moved down to the Subject line. I blinked and had to read it twice before it sank in..."Games Maker Mail: Well done! You have an interview".

No comments:

Post a Comment